By Scott Malone BOSTON (Reuters) - A Rhode Island child hospitalized with Enterovirus D68 has died of a bacterial infection, in what state public health officials described on Wednesday as an unusual and dangerous combination. The child, a 10-year-old girl who was not named, died last week as a result of a staphylococcus aureus sepsis alongside the respiratory virus, the Rhode Island Department of Health said in a statement, calling it a "very rare combination that can cause very severe illness in children and adults. ...
The CHP reports the vehicle may have been traveling 100 mph when it crashed and caught fire.
A firefighter confronted an intruder who broke into a Butte County fire station early Wednesday
Students and school staff in Tehama County will accept "Rachel's Challenge," a commitment to spread random acts of kindness and compassion.
Governor Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 270 on Tuesday which will ban all single-use plastic bags from grocery stores and department stores starting next year. Pharmacies and convenience stores will not be affected until 2016.
Paul Molitor is expected to meet with the Minnesota Twins about their vacant managerial job, the Star Tribune reported.
New Zealand caddie Steve Williams says he plans to retire but will consider offers of part-time work next year and would team up with former boss Tiger Woods, if asked.
With his next TD pass, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will join Brett Favre in NFL's 500 club.
Police documents indicate that Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps registered .14 percent on a breathalyzer test after he was stopped on a speeding violation.