Dogs and smoke alarms are credited with saving the lives of some people whose house north of Redding was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning. Cal-Fire with help from Redding Fire, Shasta County Fire, Shasta Lake, Mountain Gate and Millville were dispatched at 1:30AM to Wintu Way off Old Oregon Trail just north of Shasta College. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the second floor of a 3800 square foot 2-story house. The residents had been sound asleep but were awakened by their dogs and alarms and they got out of the house unscathed. Firefighters salvaged some of the contents of the bottom floor, and contained the actual fire to the second floor, but the home is a complete loss with a damage estimate of $750,000. Investigators found that the fire originated around the chimney flue pipe and spread into the attic.