A small battery caused a big problem for an East Redding family. Redding Fire Department was called just before 10 O’clock to a house on Sophy Place off Oak Mesa Lane. The fire was under control within about 15 minutes and confined to the garage. Damage is estimated at $50,000 to the structure and another $150,000 to the contents, including vehicles parked in the garage. The cause was determined to be a lithium ion battery that was left plugged into a charger on top of a workbench. Rechargeable batteries are generally supposed to shut off when fully charged, but that feature doesn’t always work.